Saturday, September 1, 2007

AHS Fall Sports

School is almost back in session, but the sports teams have been hard at work for several weeks. Volleyball and Football got a chance to test their mettle this Friday, and I was there to document the action for the Astor Post. I will never be as good at sports photography as my predecessor, Cam McFarland (I mean, come on - his name is 'Cam') - who has left AHS for bigger and better things, but I'll give it my best shot. By the way, I love puns.


Coach Hunt giving her girls a pep talk - I like that you can tell all of her girls' eyes are on her - even the ones whose faces we can't see.


The lighting is bad in our gym - so I had to crank the ISO rating way up to get this shot. It's still a little fuzzy, but I'm glad for the zoom lens.


On to Football! I was pacing the sidelines with my camera and saw all this stuff set up for me - as pretty as a picture! So I took one.


This was pretty heartbreaking. This kid hurt his knee on the first play of the first game of the season. He's a Senior. I hope he heals up quickly.


Ahh. . . the thrill of the hunt! I know some people don't like my blurry photos, but this time I think it really adds an element of motion and excitement to the shot. Plus, it was really dark by the time I took this picture, so I didn't really have a choice. By the way, #54 smashed this guy into the grass about .5 seconds after I snapped the shutter, so that look of "I want to destroy you" is not faked.

Hopefully I'll get some Soccer and Cross Country pictures up soon - though I do have to go to their games/meets first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Clint-
good pics. Is there anything better than a nice cool evening and football? The Beaver game was a lot of fun. We went down on the field after and played catch, it was great. I am in total agreement with your feelings on the OS. Are we really that bad that the only way we can get recognition is by dropping one of our initials. Bah!

DMo said...

I can tell you like puns...they are very clever.

You had a lot going against you: poor lighting and fast moving subjects. And that doesn't count finding a good physical position to get decent shots. Both of those can only be adjusted with software to certain limits. (I tried taking pictures of the lunar eclipse last week...speed was not an issue, but no matter how I tried, most pictures didn't work to brighten them with GIMP.)

I really like the footballs sitting next to the 30-yd cone sitting on the grass. That brings out football season fever just looking at it--you can feel the crisp nights with fog on your breath, with the lights deepening the colors of the field in contrast to the black background... I don't know what quality of print you are able to do with the Astor Post, but that could be a good score/stats background.

I like the action shots, too. The zoom did really well. And I love the suspended animation feel. It prompts the viewer to imagine what will come next: will the girl on the camera side of the net be able to salvage the block? Will 54 get the guy with the ball? (granted, you explained that part well.) Its just cool seeing action shots.

By the way, what Camera do you use? When you take the shots are you flashing the shutter like a mad man and sorting the results, or are you timing the action to get the right shot at the right time? Are you using a flash or just using the natural lighting? I can see possible benefits for both techniques even if the light from the flash doesn't reach the subjects.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing the pictures.