Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Great Outdoors

I guess I like nature photography more than anything else, and particularly plants. They are easy to focus on and don't move around, unlike everything else I've tried. Today I took the kids to the Young's River Falls and got no good pictures of the waterfalls themselves. I "forgot" (read: didn't want one more thing to carry) the tripod and paid the price with blurry water. But I did get some other good shots. Hope you like 'em!


The river - I had to lie down on my belly to get this shot. I like the rocks out of focus in the foreground. It made the picture more visually interesting.


My kids love throwing rocks into water, but who doesn't?


I just thought this tree looked cool.


Ahhh. Mr. Slug. The only member of the animal kingdom slow enough for me to take pictures of and keep him in focus. He may be gross, but at least he's camera friendly.

2 comments:

DMo said...

After almost a year avoiding the social pressure to start a blog, your blog tipped me over the edge. Looking at your pictures got me excited about trying new things with my camera. Also, to reveal my sophistication, you made me realize I can do a picture-book type blog rather than drudge through an attempted novel-blog. I can handle pictures and some short narrative, but writing a lot is...well...more work. Although I will have a potpourri of topics and formats, I will attempt doing justice to the photography world with our little point-and-shoot. Inspire by your blog.

Anyway, I like the blurry rock foreground blending into focus downstream.

Also, are you using a particular setting or filter to give it an antique-ish warm, but slightly dim look? It adds an nice warm, relaxed (reminiscent) feel to the pictures.

Slugs are not my subject of choice, so I'm not sure if I want to compliment the quality of the focus that shows the light glistening off the details of the slugs head.

J-Dog said...

Say Hi to Mr. Slug for me!